Aim to Buy...
- Local products to reduce food miles
- Organically produced food which reduces the amount of harmful pesticides and fertilizers, using more sustainable methods of farming and crop rotation
- Animal friendly products which ensure a welfare standard
- Fairly traded products to ensure fairness and accountability to the farmers
Try not to waste food and buy only what you need and what you can store safely. Studies estimate about one third of all vegetables and fruits produced worldwide is wasted.
There is a difference between the’ use by’ date and the ‘best before’ date:
- Use by dates indicate when a product may no longer be safe to eat. You should not eat, cook, or freeze it after the date displayed, even if it looks or smells fine
- Best before dates indicate the food is safe to eat but may lose some of its flavour and texture after the date